Fourth Season (Pre-Order) - One Record Shipped Every Two Months in 2019
Free shipping if ordered now! $480.00 USD (VAT included)
Free shipping if ordered now! Regular price
Newvelle Records is incredibly proud to present our Fourth Season.
As a Season Four Newvelle Member, you will receive six, 180 gram vinyl records featuring never-before-heard music. A new record will be shipped every two months in 2019, along with a premium Newvelle collector's box to hold the complete series. As always, all six records are recorded and mixed at East Side Sound in New York by Marc Urselli and mastered by Alex DeTurk. All Season Four records were recorded with Nordost cables.
Receive Free Shipping when you pre-order Season Four.
Season Four Artists:
- Noah Preminger returned to Newvelle to make a record that he has been planning for a very long time. A labor of love, featuring music from and inspired by the films of his great-uncle Otto Preminger. With an absolutely stellar band of Jason Moran on piano, Kim Cass on bass and Marcus Gilmore on the drums.
- Broken Shadows is a working band tackling the music of Ornette Coleman and some of his contemporaries. Featuring Tim Berne, Chris Speed, Reid Anderson and Dave King, they’ve already garnered stellar reviews worldwide for their ferocious and insightful live shows. Tim and Chris worked together for many years in the band Bloodcount and in many other ensembles and, of course, Reid and Dave are the rhythm section of the Bad Plus Trio, one of the mainstays of the jazz scene over the past 20 years.
- Greg Tardy and Bill Frisell. Greg Tardy was one of the leading lights of the “young lion” scene of the early 1990’s. He performed and recorded extensively in the bands of Elvin Jones and Andrew Hill and has recorded his own highly regarded records for Impulse Records, Steeplechase and Palmetto. Bill Frisell needs no introduction, his history with Greg goes way back and they’ve played together for decades through a couple iterations of Bill’s band, but this is their first duet experience.
- Billy Lester is a pianist based in the Bronx who has been quietly building his own unique voice and sound for decades. Billy is a mostly unheralded name in jazz but we were blown away by his sound and approach to the piano. Billy recorded this record with a legendary rhythm section of Rufus Reid on bass and Matt Wilson on drums. Newvelle Records is shooting a short documentary about Billy’s unique life and approach so look for more about this coming soon.
- Kenny Werner recorded with an all star quartet featuring Dave Liebman, Esperanza Spalding and Terri Lynn Carrington. Kenny is widely regarded as one of the visionary talents on piano as a composer, author and educator. On this record, he is leading a band of uncommon depth and talent. We cannot wait to share this record with the world.
- The cellist Hank Roberts finishes our Fourth Season with a record of original music featuring pianist Jacob Sacks and drummer Vinnie Sperrazza. Hank has been a linchpin of the New York scene for decades. Recording 10 records for the iconic label Winter and Winter and featuring on Bill Frisell’s Grammy Winning Unspeakable. This trio stretches the boundaries of traditional jazz, they’ve recorded something lyrical, personal and daring.
The visual artist Hery Paz has made an incredible series of paintings specifically for this series. Hery is a great musician as well as a painter and has been making a name for himself with album covers for a number of prominent NYC musicians. For this project he immersed himself in the music for weeks, building something truly unique. We are very excited about a serial short story from the celebrated writer Tim Sultan featured within each record as well. Tim's last book Sunny's Nights was called a “a perfect, insightful cocktail: full-bodied, multitextured and delicious” by the New York Times, and he is quickly becoming known as one of the pre-eminent chroniclers of New York City life. We commissioned Tim directly to write this exclusive piece for Newvelle Records.